Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Having autism can also be lovely sometimes.  My liked life more and more is my good grades, my blog and my time spent with my family. 

People make the hard choice to meet good wants of their loved autistic children.  I have seen many loving parents who don't believe their loved children are capable of more than PECS and another form of communication path called Proloquo.  You must need a lot of juice and snacks.  Picking Proloquo to use for communicating is not the needed solution that many parents and teachers think.  Proloquo uses pictures downloaded to the iPad, and the theory is based on the Picture Exchange Communication System or PECS. 

The problem with placing your hopes for communication in Proloquo is that pointing to pictures on an iPad isn't really communication. I couldn't communicate my thoughts the liked way I can now by typing.  Learning to point to a letter board leaning towards a miracle for me.  I could finally talk to my family the way I always dreamed.  More kids need to experience this life changing moment! 

I'm trying hard to offer up reasons for looking at RPM as an option.  Learning touches our brains and opens up pathways for communication.  Please earn your loved ones gratitude and go to Austin and meet Soma.  You won't regret it. 

Lately my life has been so exciting!  My news story airs next week.  Is everyone going to watch?

(Kaylie's news story is supposed to air on Wednesday, March 2nd on WGRZ Channel 2 in Buffalo sometime between 6-7am.  The story should be posted on their website, wgrz.com and Facebook/Twitter by 8 am the morning it airs. - Lisa)

For more information on RPM, visit HALO's website at www.halo-soma.org

5 comments:

  1. Kaylie, it is SO frustrating when you have a thought or a belief about something you are trying to communicate and others don't understand or just don't get what you mean. I can't imagine what that must be like for a nonverbal person who can't communicate or even use nonverbal behaviors in an understandable way. Being in Florida I won't be able to tune in to the media coverage involving you and the subject of RPM. I trust you or your parents to send a link so we can see it. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylie we ate very excited to see your story on the local news! So great that so many others will be able to hear you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kylie we ate very excited to see your story on the local news! So great that so many others will be able to hear you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see your media debut. I agree with you that pointing to pictures is not communicating. Perhaps we use that if we speak a different language to get your thought across, but you, my dear speak the same language as everyone else around you! It's just more challenging for you. Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kaylie! So nice to hear your thoughts again tonight. In my speech therapy classes, I have started trying to use the keyboard function on Proloquo for some of my students. I am hopeful that they will continue to grow in their use of language by having the opportunity to type responses, when they are able to do so, rather than to just point to pictures. Thanks to you, I am exploring many new things to try to get a better idea of what my kids can respond to, while giving them lots of opportunities to show their teachers how much they do understand. I am SUPER excited for your news story and can't wait to watch it online. You have amazing parents! Keep going, you're doing great things!!! ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete